Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Massai Massala

Time for a little update on how the business is going. Don't worry – in spite of all my orphanaging, genociding, dreaming and philosophizing, I've still had time to do what I actually came here to do: save the world with fine crafts.

We finally heard back from the first safari company we visited – Access 2 Tanzania – and they gave us a committed “probably” to agreeing to buy a trial pack, eventually. The catch is that we have to wait until the peak season for safaris picks up – which won't be until at least June. Still, a lot better than “no”.

Though neither Robin nor I will be in Tanzania at that point, it should still be possible for the women and Mr. Shija to continue business without us. Really, that's the entire point of this exercise – to allow the Mama Machumba group to thrive as a business without needing outside help ever again.

The second safari company – Massai Wanderings, the one that did buy a trial pack the other week – has basically agreed to commit to regular business with Mama Machumba Crafts. This is a big win for the group, and for me; an affirmation that my work here will have made a long-lasting difference to the lives of the women. Leaving here knowing we had made them some money is nice – but knowing they'll be able to continue making money for themselves is far more rewarding.

This morning, I dropped off our second pack of handicrafts to Donna, the owner, who has also informed us that she will be going back home to Australia for three weeks starting on Wednesday. This shouldn't be much of a problem, though, as it means we'll be able to prepare stock for her company. With a fresh 90,000 Tsh in my pocket for the women, I must admit to have betrayed a swing in my step today.

The business will be basically out of my hands come next week, as my upcoming Zanzibar trip essentially puts a full stop on the terms of my sentence. I'll be back for less than week, during which I'll take time to see whatever I've missed in Arusha, wrap things up with the Mama Machumba group, buy some souvenirs, print off my plane tickets, and avoid catching malaria.

My volunteer partner, Robin, will remain working with the group for an additional month, which leaves me optimistic she'll have enough time to ensure the ultimate goal of enabling the women to maintain their business independently.

One more thing: ate a delicious curry dinner at the tiny Big Bite restaurant in the middle of Arusha, after a hearty recommendation from the Rough Guide, which hailed it as the best Indian restaurant in East Africa. I won't argue with that - as it's the only Indian restaurant in East Africa I've ever eaten at – but it was certainly ridiculously tasty. I had chicken tiki massala and Robin ate some weird potato thing, which I initially smirked at, but then found it to be the tastiest dish on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment